The Museum is situated in Bodrum Castle and is regarded as one of the world’s most important underwater archeology museums. It is the one of the most popular places to visit in Bodrum. Bodrum Underwater Archaeology Museum contains 14 exhibition halls and has the richest East Mediterranean Amphora collection in the world. In the Museum, Yassıada, Şeytan Deresi and Serçe Lİmanı shipwrecks are also exhibited. The world’s oldest sunken ship wreckage exhibited in the Museum is also worth to visit. This shipwreck exhibited in Serçe Limanı Glass Wreck Hall is the sinking boat in 1025. 3 tons of broken and unbroken glasses were removed from this boat. Additionally the world’s largest Islamic Glass Collection is also exhibited here.
Amphora Park is situated under the porch of the main outer walls on the left side when entering to the Citadel. The largest collection of artifacts in Bodrum Underwater Archeology Museum are amphora.
Amphora is a two-handled pot with a pointed bottom. It is consisted of the words Amphi (on both sides) and phoreus (carrier). Amphora are used for the transportation and storage of wine, oil olive, dry foodstuff in ancient period’s trade.
Did you know?
In ancient times, in Anatolia, vine harvest were celebrated with feasts and songs. The wines were prepared and were kept in cellars in large cubes. For the aging of wines, amphora were used and for the protection of their quality those amphora were covered with tap.
Address: Bodrum Castle
Carian Princess Hall
The Axe Tower next to the cross vault is “Queen Ada” hall. Sarcophagus and its findings found during a basic excavation in Bodrum are exhibited.
The grave and the personal belongings of Caria Hekatumnus dynasty Queen Ada are exhibited in this hall. It has been determined with criminal methods that the skeleton disinterred from the grave founded during the excavation in Bodrum belongs to Queen Ada. The specifications such as to resemble to the head of Ada, to take the Persian effect on the jewelries, to give lots of birth anthropologically, to reflect a personality who rides a house, a portrait obtained in Priene with the facial reconstruction in England in point of facial lines, the skeleton’s belonging possibility to Queen Ada is very strong. This noble women was died around the age of 44, she has been entombed with her jewelries, a drink container and her gold-studded clothes. The skeleton of a mouse which entered into the sarcophagus of the Princess who died around 330 BC before closing of its cover was found with Ada’s bones. The surface of the sarcophagus is covered up with large stone blocks after being closed. The video movie of the obtainment of the findings, the genealogical tree-chronology, room decor and furniture in compliance with related period’s gathering hall and gypsum copy of Ada’s head taken to British Museum from Priene can be visited. This exhibition requires exclusive entrance fee.
The English Tower stands at the southeast corner of the Castle. The foundations of the tower are seated on the main rock. The three-storied tower has two entrances; one outside the western rampart and the other in the North in Citadel. The West entrance of the tower opens onto middle floor. Currently, this section is used as glass laboratory of the museum.
Late Roman Shipwreck
The beautiful gothic-style structure seen on the right side of the courtyard is the chapel of the knights. This chapel is one of the first completed structures by the starting of the construction of the Castle (1402-1437). The chapel was renovated by Spanish knights between the years 1519-1520. It shows Spanish effectiveness on the plans and adornments. The façade of the chapel is quite ornate. Access to the entrance is via a large door in the middle and two small door in the side. Just above on the side doors, there are arched windows one for each. Two windows, one on the top of the other, on the middle door and botanical adornments in the way of either the construction method or specifications are finest samples of Gothic style. On the top, there is an acroterium adornment.
Turkish bath in Bodrum Castle was opened in 1991 after having renovated. There is a small fountain in the courtyard of the bath. Lemon trees around the fountain are the important elements of the traditional bath’s garden. In the courtyard, toilet bowls compiled from Bodrum and nears, closet from 19th Century and potties used in ancient times to the present century are exhibited.
The sinking ship by crashing into the rocks in a small bay named Serçe Limanı near to Marmaris is known as Glass Wreck due to its findings. The wreck lying on 32 meters depth and dug by Prof. Dr. George Bass in between the years 1977-1979 was discovered largely non-damaged. In the wake of deselection of glass chunks carried on the ship, the goods of a merchant who were travelling unrestrainedly between Islamic-Byzantine states has revealed. On the one hand while the cullet were placing to the ship for re-melting, on the other hand new production glasses were selling in the ports of call. Numerous findings such as loads related to Early Islamic Period, a sword, pots with strainer and checker stones which the crew were playing are deriving from this wreck. Through the variedness of findings, the wreck is dating to 11th Century, and with a powerful determination around the year of 1025.
German Tower is constructed as English Tower so as to reflect the life of the knights in medieval times. The anchors are exhibited in the up courtyard in front of German Tower. On the German Tower, which is used as meeting hall and dining room, two-headed eagle figure is existing. It is believed that German Tower is used as hospital.
Coins and Jewelry Hall
The vaulted structure used as Coins and Jewelry Hall is the ground floor of Italian Tower. It is a rectangle shaped small room. The coins from the smallest one (tetratemorion) to the largest one (tetradrachm) used in the region are exhibited according to the heaviness in a way that their obverse and reverse sides can be seen clearly. In another showcase, the purchasing power of tetradrachm from VI. Century BC to II. Century BC is shown.
When walking upward from Amphora Park, a bell seen on the left side belongs to an eastern orthodox church. The date of 1906 is written on it. At the door situated next to the bell, the shipwreck which belongs to Byzantine wreck discovered with the excavation of Serçe Limanı on XIth Century AD is exhibited. The structure located at straight ahead is used as glass hall. The structure is rectangular shaped with a cut vault. In this hall, various glass works dated between 14th century B.C. and 11th century A.D. are exhibited. In the first display window on the right, a Mycenaean glass bead string from the 14th century B.C. and glass nuggets dating to the same period that have been excavated from the shipwreck in Kaş Uluburun can be found. In other display windows, glass finds obtained in ancient city excavations like Stratonikeia and Kaunos can be seen. A big part of the hall consists of the glass collection of the Serçe Limanı Shipwreck that is dated to 11th century A.D. An aquarium has been placed inside one of the niches of this hall to show how underwater archaeological excavations are done.
Hidden Museum The Snake Tower
The Spanish Tower is known as “Snake Tower” because of the snake relief found at the end of the lower entrance. Inside the tower, medical appliances of ancient ages, mortars and pestles used for dispensing medicines are exhibited on the showcases. Here, the cycle of “Birth-Life-Death” is depicted. Apart from the medical appliances, figures that symbolize female fertility, God Priapus, binary phallus relief, Tellus Mater, the goddess of nature and marriage, holds Eros in her arms and reliefs with sexual themes can be also seen.
The real-size replica of the wreck is displayed in Uluburun Exhibition situated at Late Bronze Age Shipwrecks Hall’s second and third sections. The wreck identified as “the world’s oldest recovered wreck” and found in near Kas-Uluburun is the most important and most exclusive exhibit of Bodrum Underwater Archaeology Museum.
Next to the dungeon mass grave of galley salves at the left side, toilets from Ottoman Period are seen. When you continue down the road towards north, you reach to inner moat surrounded by fortification walls. Here, there are two towers. These towers are the Gatineau and Caretto towers. The Caretto Tower was built on behalf of Magnus Magister Fabrico Del Caretto (1513-1521). The Gatineau Tower was built by one of the tower commanders, Jacques Gatineau (1512-1514). The Gatineau Tower began to be used as a dungeon (torture chamber) after its cannon embrasures were closed and its air funnels were sealed. On the outer wall of the Ganiteau Tower there are three coats of arms. The arm on the middle comprises the arms of Magnus Magister Emery d'Amboise (1503-1512). Those on either side are the arms of Jacques Gatineau, the commanders responsible for the construction of the tower. The tower is entered by a flight of 23 steps leading down. Above the inner door is an inscription in Latin -INDE DEUS ABEST. This inscription means 'God is absent from this place'. Just within the entrance is a balcony from which the torture chamber can be seen. Within each of the walls to left and right are two small chambers (the old cannon embrasures). Every chambers have a ventilation shaft above. The shaft on the left side was blocked by the arms. In the north-west corner of the main room is the gibbet ditch, in the front of which is a very small cramped cell in the ground. The dummy, the dungeon head and prisoners displayed here arouse interest with light illusions and sound effects used.
Being demolished on French attack in 1915, this tower was restored and dedicated to the memories of Capt. İbrahim Nezihi who were protecting Bodrum against any attempts of the French occupation and martyrized in Kocatepe while the Great Offensive War were starting at August 26, 1922. The exhibition on this tower enables us to recognize nameless heroes and related period during the devolution from Ottoman Empire to Turkish Republic.